Gyms in Medellin
There are two main gym options:
- free outdoor public gyms - which can be found around El Poblado (in Provenza and Manila) and
- modern commercial gyms - the standard that you’re probably used to find back home, but probably more expensive here
If you’d like more of a cultural, bare essentials route, the public gyms are ideal. Although they look and feel like prison-yard weight sets (often times, you can find someone lifting rocks), the people are usually very nice, and with the right exercises, getting a full body workout is fairly easy. A little tip, if you use multiple public gyms, with a run in between them, you can get a much more well-rounded workout due to the gyms having different machines for different muscle groups. The clear downside of the public gyms is that you may be out-lifting some of the machines weight-limits. There really just isn’t an option for more weight to be added, you just have to find more difficult exercises. Some public gyms get crowded at times so it’s best to go before 6 pm or after 8:30 pm.
There are also numerous modern commercial gyms. Expect to pay anywhere from $30 to $100 dollars a month for a fancier gym. All of the more affluent areas of Medellin, such as Poblado and Laureles, will offer some several modern gyms to choose from.
- Bodytech - is a high end gym chain that has 15 locations across Medellin. In Poblado you have 3 branches within 15 minutes walk from Parque Lleras - Manila, Vizcaya & Rio Sur. The last one being a platinum grade gym.
- Ultra - located at the top of the Charlee Hotel in Parque Lleras, this is the most exclusive gym in town. Worth paying simply for the impressive view over Medellin and people watching.
- Santillana - located in Patio Bonito close to Oviedo shopping mall.
- EAFIT University - has a well stocked modern gym at a very reasonable price. You don’t need to be a student to use the gym.
- MMA Colombia - are a mixed martial arts gym with boxing, Brazilian Jujitsu, Muay Thai and Wrestling.
Yoga & Pilates in Medellin
There are plenty of opportunities in Medellin to participate in Yoga or Pilates. Here are some of the best in Poblado:
Another great option may be to enjoy your yoga in the beautiful botanical gardens. Atman Yoga frequently offers classes in the Jardin Botanico which can be reached via the Universidad Metro station.
Although there are much fewer Pilate studios, Kinan Pilates is a superb option. Located in the grounds of the scenic Museo de Castillo it's a special place to workout. There is also Pilates Studio, which is located in Laureles, a $10,000 COP taxi ride away from Poblado.